Saturday, March 29, 2014

Timekeeping: A Poem

It's good to get those tucked away poems out of the notebook and into the world!

These days, I've been thinking about time, especially how we measure it, and how that frantic measuring can make us feel overwhelmed and sometimes lose our purpose. After all the pondering, this poem was born. Yay!

You can even hear me read it. The background sounds are Dan working on some construction in our basement, which is right below my office:



*

Timekeeping

Her hand
clenches
the grain mill.
 
My finger
pushes
the "bake" button.

The rooster crows
her out of bed.

Into perfect segments,
lines of sunlight
cross her blanket.
How still the ground
beneath the snow.

I do not gaze upon the snowflakes.
Into perfect segments,
hours and minutes
cross my days.
I glimpse again the ticking clock
who has been crowned
my king somehow.

May the hours of our days
wind like wooded trails
that lead us home,
purposeful, laughing,
lavender dropping
out of our pockets.

May the hours of our days
unroll into forever
like a mat where
the body reclines
beneath the dome of day,
and we live out
forever.

May we be like lavender,
soft, sweet, calm,
and the clock will drop its crown,
and all the gifts we gave to it,
we will gather once more
and give away.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jade! And loved getting to hear you read it as well =) Hope your weekend is restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie :) Hope you're having a nice Sunday doing what you like most!

      Delete
  2. I love hearing you read, Jade! I've been feeling some of that franticness myself, so thank you for this. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian. I'm glad you enjoyed the reading! I'm not much of a public speaker, even if I was just pretty much reading aloud to my computer screen, lol. Hope your night is relaxing.

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely piece, Jade, and it came alive when I heard you read it. Beautiful words with profound insights - in particular the last stanza :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :). This means a lot coming from a talented poet.

      Delete
  4. How cool to hear you. I love your poem. Love it.

    ReplyDelete