Friday, January 10, 2014

Why I Write Stories—My Response Surprised Me!

For months and months, hours, days, and months skidded past me, and I was reluctant to sit down at my writing desk and dream my stories onto paper. I felt distracted by my environment, which has recently changed, but even more so, I felt distracted by my thoughts and motivations. I kept asking myself, why am I doing this?

And then I concluded that I should be doing something different since I probably should be better at it by now and be able to concretely express why I write if it's the right thing for me. I played with these ideas for a new main passion instead of writing—baking, gardening, painting with watercolors, planning and cooking elaborate dinners for myself and my husband, but I would find myself drawn back, as if by ocean waves, to writing stories again and again.

My initial response was I write to communicate a message to the world and to connect with them about this message. After some time of thinking it over, I realized, no, that's not exactly the reason. It's more important to be honest than to be right all the time, and that response sounded to me like the correct reason anyone should write, but was not necessarily true to me.

And then I realized, a truer answer is I love writing, and writing loves me. My Yeshua, my Author, my God smiles when I write, and I love to share my writings with this mighty smiling Abba and the rest of the world. It's not always easy and it's not always fun, and yet often times it's very easy and the most fun I can imagine! I find the act of creating characters to be exhilarating and satisfying. When I'm in solitude, they make me feel entertained and less alone. I love naming them, dressing them up, finding out what makes them angry, what they love, what they need, and what they want but can't have. While some of my past stories aren't very long and may read like poetic metaphors, I'm very driven to give my future characters realistic traits, full stories, and make them leap off the page. Still, I am satisfied with many of my past fictional works.

Because there are so many reasons why I write, their flavors just meld, and I don't need to separate them because together they're delectable. The concrete reasons, the desire for completion and achievement, the fun of creating characters in particular settings and having them talk to each other and slap and kick each other and embrace each other, along with the thrill of finding new words, do not really matter so much. So, why do I write stories? It's very simple, and I wouldn't even call it an answer. Because.

10 comments:

  1. You just put into words what I've been trying to figure out! I think if writing, for me, were just about communication, I would write more often...like you say, there's more to it than that. And it's all right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian,

      I'm happy to see you found some consolation in these words.

      To summarize, I guess it's more beneficial to have fun writing than to worry ourselves endlessly with the more weighty matters of why we're doing it, and if we have a good enough reason to do it. At least this was my own epiphany. "And it's all right"—yes, acceptance :) xx

      Delete
  2. Because you love writing. Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sometimes writing loves me more than I love it, haha!

      P.S. :) the pictures of all those books on your blog made me happy.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Jade! Just loved reading this, as well as your conclusion =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so wonderful. So excellently written, my heart leaped a little (okay, ALOT) at the end. Thank you for sharing this--it's unearthed all my own joys of penning words. :)
    Your post The Writing and the Life United brought me to tears. Wow. I saved it, as it's worthy of many more re-reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because. The perfect answer. I am trying very hard not to overanalyse myself anymore. I do too much of that. It's time to accept myself as I am. Besides, some questions can't even be answered rationally. They are bursts of emotion. They make us who we are, and we cannot be ourselves without them.

    Thank you, by the way, for your warm welcome back to Blogger. <3 I am so happy to be here. I feel like I have come back home. The short story project doesn't strictly include revisions. For me, it's more important that I finish just the first drafts of my stories, because I have been struggling to write for a long, long time, and need to get back into the habit. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your writing and am inspired by it. You ARE great at it and it seems so effortless to you. Don't ever stop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This means a lot. :)

      Happy writing!

      Delete
  7. I'm fascinated by what I like to call "real" writers like you, contrary to "hobby" writers like me - and this post was wonderful. I have often wondered about the why - why do you write, what compells you to do so?
    Like so many things in life, the answer to this big question is such a simple, yet so complex one.

    ReplyDelete